I recently read an article in the Seattle Times about “green” building techniques and how Seattle is proving to be a role model for the rest of the nation. Now, what exactly does it mean to build “Green”? According to www.builtgreen.net, there are a number of factors required to qualify, but here are a few of my favorite things a green home may include:
- Recycled building materials, like reclaimed doors
- Environmentally-friendly insulations
- Low-toxicity carpet (or no carpeting at all)
- Use of rapidly-renewable bamboo for flooring
- Solar-powered outdoor lighting
- Rooftop gardens
Way to go Seattle! (maybe another reason to call us “The Emerald City!”) Hopefully we can continue to lead the way with these environmentally-friendly building techniques.